My husband and I bought our first home almost a year ago. We've enjoyed having our own space though home ownership has been a bit of a rollercoaster. It has also been a veritable education. Here are some of the course descriptions!
1. The price of the home on paper is just the beginning...
2. If your garage door starts squealing loudly and getting stuck halfway up, you should not wait to call a repairman!
3. Just because your older sister could have her house unpacked and organized within 2 weeks (while 9 months pregnant) does not mean that you can do the same (even if you are not pregnant)...
4. If you live in Florida and own a cat, it's not a matter of whether fleas will come... it's a matter of when fleas will come.
5. Just because the home inspector says your house is safe, that is no guarantee that the homeowner's insurance company will agree with him. You just might end up directing an exterior paint job from your vacation at the beach.
6. Gardens don't just happen.
7. There comes a time when you have to get over the fact that you don't know how to do something, and just make up your mind to keep trying until you figure it out. You might surprise yourself.
8. Cat hair may cause tufts on the carpet, but it causes tumbleweed on tile floors.
9. Cats usually do not respond to reasoned requests that they stop destroying your new-used furniture. But they may be bribed.
10. Lowe's is your new home away from home. Just bring a sleeping bag -- tents are provided.